Buenos Tacos, Doritos:



What a fab Saturday. It's rainy and I'm doing laundry. Everything's green out my windows, plus I bought a used DVD/VHS combo last night for 25 bucks through Craig's List. This cute guy in Los Feliz. I can't believe how incredibly tricked out my house is now. I have every major appliance normal people have.



1. microwave my mom told my brother to get for me when my stove broke and she felt sorry for me, plus she always thought I should have a "micro," as she calls it.



2. eco-friendly mini-dishwasher my landlords long-term loaned to me since it doesn't fit on their counter. I love the sounds it makes when it's washing dishes.



3. cute new-to-me stove (thanks, landlords!)



4. fridge



5. TV inherited from high school sweetheart and former roommate, Jake (thanks, Jake!)



6. VHS and DVD player, from Craig's List guy



7. sexy turntable and old-fashioned tube receiver/radio (with KMET sticker on it) and cool old speakers that sound rad, especially playing oldies. From St. Vincent dePaul, with help from Ken, who knows more about these things than I do.



8. Fabulous washer/dryer (long-term/quasi-permanently loaned to me by Jeff, who inherited it from Shannon and Justin; thanks! The sound of laundry in the dryer is maybe one of my top five all-time sounds. My landlord Bernard even built a little house for it, for days just like this one, and I hung a really cool "shabby chic" retro-tropical shower curtain on it, which doesn't look bad even though it sounds bad.)



9. loveable computer, which I think is also now officially "shabby chic," as it's like a 2001 blue imac, the cheapest one they made, OS 9.



10. "shabby chic" dog (who, by the way, is developing a troubling Linda McCartney mullet)



In fact, pretty much the only major appliance I don't have is a proper CD player. The one I have, a gift for my 24th birthday from my brother when we lived in Prague, is spitting up its last little bits of lasers and static, and only responds to physical abuse.



The other MAJOR APPLIANCE I don't have is any of the BEST OF THE DEAN MARTIN VARIETY SHOW DVDS OR TAPES that Regis Philben does the infomercials for.



I just wanted to let ANYONE KNOW who was WONDERING WHAT I WANTED either for Christmas, Kwanzaa, NEW YEAR'S, OR JUST BECAUSE THEY LOVE ME SO MUCH AND THEY WANT ME TO BE HAPPY.



So, to recap: if anyone's wondering what to get me, ever, I am interested in DEAN MARTIN VARIETY SHOW tapes or DVDs.



Now, the catch is, this kind of gift requires a lot of love and affection, because it's not sold in stores. As far as I know, the only place to get it, besides the commitment-heavy mail order thing (deanvariety.com) is on eBay.



Love,

Kate



PS: I also read the new Rolling Stone today and enjoyed it very much. It's much better now that they don't have sluts on the cover every time. Two years ago, they would have put Destiny's Child on the cover instead of just reviewing the record. Anyway, the interview with Eminem was fascinating. I'm glad something has apparently changed over at Rolling Stone, and I hope they stick with it, and I hope they get savvy about expanding their subscription base and I hope they continue to be something readable.

Comments

Popular Posts