I don't know if it will mean anything real and good in political terms, but I am happy to finally see a woman leading Congress.

I have grown up at a time when little girls could never dream of being president.

Sometimes I think this fact alone has been one of the greatest psychic obstacles for American girls like me. I can't be president? You telling me I can't be president?

Geez, I guess I can't be president.

But maybe something like this is a small step toward a time when little girls in America not only think they can be president -- but actually CAN be president.

(As a particular fan of the prayer of St. Francis, I liked her speech, in which she quoted that prayer, attributed to the saint who talked to the animals.)

Here's what Wikipedia says:

With her election as Speaker, Nancy Pelosi is the highest-ranking woman in the history of the American Federal government.

Pelosi is the first woman to lead a major political party in either house of Congress.

She is also the first Californian or Italian American to hold the post, and will be the second Speaker from west of the Rockies (behind fellow Democrat Tom Foley of Washington).

As Speaker, she ranks second in the presidential line of succession, behind Dick Cheney, the current Vice President.

Comments

Popular Posts