Good Morning, America

So, apparently, this shit is still happening.

Yet another reason I'm glad I went to a girl-power school.

Recently, I was talking to my old teacher from Immaculate Heart High School, Mike Manion, who taught me history, international relations, and critical thinking. At a school of virtuoso teachers, I think we would all probably agree Mr. Manion was the all-around champ.

Mr. Manion

I told Mr. Manion, a couple weeks ago it dawned on me why Immaculate Heart was such a powerful force in my development. It comes down to this: For a brief (and shining!) moment, I was able to feel what it would be like to be judged solely by the content of my character. (And my brain. The brain was key.) At least in the classroom, I was able to feel what it's like to not be treated as a "minority," or "like a girl." I got to feel out my own nature in safety.


A person doesn't get that chance very often. And I don't mean we weren't taught to celebrate being women; we were. But we weren't treated as a minority.

Coincidentally, yesterday I was at LACMA (LA County Museum of Art) for a heart-throbbing exhibit, "California Design, 1930-1965: Living in a Modern Way." I was thrilled to find stuff in the gift shop by Corita Kent, the famed graphic artist and head of the art department at Immaculate Heart College, whose work set the visual tone for our school. I love Corita so.

Love,
Kate

PS: For more info on my crazy/extraordinary high school experience, you can check out "My Life with the Renegade Nuns" from L.A. Weekly, and an essay by a fellow panda here. Yes; our mascot was the panda. Yes, it was awesome.



My all-around favorite Corita piece. That's a Lennon-McCartney lyric, taken out of context, from "Things We Said Today." I love how she also takes the Look magazine logo out of context. I wish I could have met her.


Comments

Popular Posts