Hey There, Dragonslayers:



They've changed the way they make Carefree bubblegum, it seems, and I'm switching to Trident. Trident and Carefree have always been like Betty and Veronica to me: I like 'em both for different reasons, at different times, and I'd never be happy with just one. But you know, things change. People change. Gum changes.



I'm overdue on deadline, as usual, so this'll be short. Tsar, the best band in L.A., is playing tomorrow night (Friday) at the whatchamalcallit--Henry Fonda, yeah. Should be a fun scene cuz some long-lost loved ones are in town like Amy Langfield and Ken Layne and such. But if you miss it, don't cry too hard--they're having a party Sept. 21 at the Derby for the release of their single.



I interviewed Pink yesterday for Spin. I hadn't seen her in a year and a half. She has another record coming out, this time recorded with Tim Armstrong of Rancid/Transplants. Who knew?: Tim Armstrong is a candy-dandy pop songwriter and producer. Julio just turned me onto Rancid like three weeks ago--I mean, as in, I listened to an entire record, not just the singles they spun relentlessly on KROQ. They're really good. It's always a surprise and never a surprise when some very smart rocker turns out to also be a popper. You've got to be if you're going to write good rock songs. You've got to know a hook, a melody, and a bridge.



On a personal level, Pink and Flea are my favoritest-ever pop stars to interview, and I hope I'll get the chance to interview them for years to come. It's really nice when you click with someone right away, and you can have awkward silences and bum smokes off them and just be normal. I'll say it now and I'll stand by it: Pink is a hell of a lady. A hell of a woman, and a heck of a broad. She gets things that I could only say, and not understand, at her age. She didn't learn about women from a fucking women's studies class. She learned it by being smart and having her eyes open. She's going to be an amazing 50-year-old. She has the spirit of a great bartender, or diner waitress, and I mean that in the best sense. When I leave her, I don't feel fat or poor or unfamous or old or anything. I feel happy because I know I'm not crazy. There's some women whose whole ego is based on their sexuality, and she's just not one of them.







love n stuff

kate





PS: Radio Disney is rocking right now. Hillary Duff's "So Yesterday" is a classic bubblegum torch song with a girl-power twist, and the Cheetah Girls' "Cinderella" has lyrics that might have changed my life if I'd heard them at 8. Over and over. And over. I'm not a big fan of the song, musically, but the fact that it's the number-one most requested song on RADIO DISNEY is a bit wow.



I don't wanna be like Cinderella

Sitting in a dark cold dusty cellar

waiting for somebody to come and set me free

I don't wanna be like Snow White waiting

For a handsome prince to come and save me...

Don't wanna depend on no one else

I'd rather rescue myself



I can slay my own dragons

I can dream my own dreams

My knight in shining armor is me

So I'm gonna set me free



Comments

Popular Posts