Hi Little Budgie:



Good news today (thanks, Matt!): The Justice Department looks like it's considering a criminal suit against New Times and Voice Media for their low-down dirty rotten deal that killed the LA New Times. (I would link to my old column but the New Times Archives were wiped out. All that great investigative reporting on Scientology is gone, which makes you wonder...)



This news made me so fucking happy this morning.



I don't really know if they have a case but just the fact that these guys are probably freaking out right now is good enough for me.



So today is my birthday, so I'll consider this my birthday present from God. Last night me and some friends went bowling at Stardust Lanes, the classic American bowling alley. At 9:30 p.m., "Cosmic Bowling" started, where they turn down the lights and have blacklights and the pins glow, and they have funny dancing light-projections and stuff, and terrible Top 40 pop. The walls are painted with awesome '70s-style moonscapes, with planets and comets and stars.



They were playing a lot of crap white music like Avril Lavigne and Linkin Park, which was strange since the crowd was 85 percent black teenagers. Oh well, nobody seemed to care.



Bowling at Stardust, someone said, "Where does bowling come from?" I said, "Hey, I think I once wrote a whole article on the history of bowling or something, and I think it comes from.... um.... something to do with Germany?" The article is from a long-ago time when I was still all crushed out on Prague. Six years ago.



Anyway. My friends here are the best. They just want to have a good time. They don't want to complain and leave a party because it's not cool enough. They just want to drink beer, smoke and talk---like Axel in L.A.



I got three or four strikes, and they were all about 7 or 8 miles per hour--really, really slow.



This was a lesson. Just because your ball is going really slowly and sounds dorky rolling along the floor doesn't mean it won't kick ass in the end.





love,

kate





PS: I'll write another haiku for whoever gets the song reference up top (heykate17@earthlink.net). But don't just type the words into a search engine. that's no fun for anybody--well, except for you, I suppose. But this isn't about you.

Comments

Popular Posts