Invincible Winners:



The protest today in Hollywood was rad. Really diverse and pretty mainstream, I thought. I mean, the sketchy/scuzzy factor was much, much lower than at the Sunset Junction Street Fair, for example. My favorite moment of the day was when we passed Graumann's Chinese Theater. They have actors there dressed up like famous icons, and you can get your picture taken with them. Well, it turned out that both Superman and Marilyn were for peace, and they were posing with people's "No War" signs. Superman had a quiet dignity and real pathos, because his suit was a little dingy and baggy, and his black hair dye was growing out.



I love Hollywood.



There were some actors there but I was mostly excited to see Jon Brion, alone as he always seems to be. I also saw Eric from Hole but that wasn't such a big deal.



I ran into my sister in law, Marketa, and a couple other people I knew. I think the crowd was about 20,000. Small but big.



I am hoping that the more mainstream groups will take over organizing duties in future from the ANSWER weirdos, because they suck, they're boring and divisive and stinky, they have poor fashion sense and they yell too much. And I just read in the LA Times that one of the main groups in the ANSWER coalition supports Saddam Hussein. Plus, there are way too many Commies up in there. Anyone who likes Communism has never lived under Communism. Anyway, a lot of those protest Commies are completely out of their minds, like right-wing Christians without the money for decent meds.



Fortunately, these types of losers are the minority of the anti-war population.



I had an American flag, because I am a patriot and I think America kicks ass and I don't have time for anti-Americanism.



I don't have time for playa-haters, or hateration of any kind.



I walked to the protest because I live so close to Hollywood and Vine, and afterward I stopped in at the Best Western diner for some dinner. It was packed with protest kids. Jon Brion was there again, at the counter, alone, like me. He went to the jukebox and programmed a somewhat topical set: "What's Goin' On," "Do You Realize?" by the Flaming Lips, "You Dropped A Bomb On Me" by the Gap Band, "It's a Family Affair," "Beast of Burden"... not all of it was exactly precise but it sounded good to me, and I felt happy that someone else there cared at least as much as me about tripping out on music.



While "Do You Realize?" played, he sort of scanned the room to see if anyone was listening, and his lips were mouthing the words to the song. I know that feeling: You put something incredible on and it'll just break your heart of no one's paying attention.



I like the lyrics to that song:



Do you realize

That you have the most beautiful face?

Do you realize

We're floating in space?

Do you realize

That happiness makes you cry?

Do you realize

That everyone you know someday will die?



And instead of saying all of your good-byes

Let them know you realize that life goes fast

It's hard to make the good things last

You realize the sun doesn't go down

It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round.



(Thanks, jukebox hero, who I could never say hi to.)



I am utterly wiped out, though, and the thought of going to Spaceland to see Supergrass tonight is a bit comical to me. I mean, maybe I should just power through it, just go for it. You never know who might be there, what heartthrob might be waiting to do some damage.



My boy Patrick Park is opening.



Got to go talk to the Voices.



xoxo

kate



Comments

Popular Posts