i can take a hint:



it doesn't mean i'll follow it.



obviously nobody likes when i go on about radio. well, that's too fucking bad.



as it happens, though, today i am bored of that subject.



Yesterday, for a minute, I was suddenly bored with rock music. Rock culture, even. I was bored with my life, and some of the things I seem to build my life on. For a minute, I felt the limitations of rock, and of youth itself. For a minute, I felt that one day, in spite of myself, I might outgrow rock 'n' roll. I was thinking about all the assholes on the cover of RS this week, and all the money they're going to make from their tours. So many rich motherfuckers on the cover of Rolling Stone.



And then I felt sad to be jaded. I thought, is this how people become horrible and old?



Then I thought about Jim Walsh. Jim would want to talk about this. What would Jim say?



He would ask for all the details, and then this is what he would say (I think).



"I think it's interesting that you got that feeling right after reading Rolling Stone. Kate, that's not rock. That's not what made the Replacements play the greatest punk rock ever."



In my limited exposure to big-money rock, and the touring world, I've been fairly grossed out. Weezer and few bands excepted, sometimes it seems like a real fucking crucifixion of the rock 'n' roll spirit. They have these incredible spreads backstage, jets and helicopters. Masseuses and acupuncturists. Scooters and motorbikes. We made it, they think. We fucking made it.



I didn't like that feeling that one day I might outgrow something that mattered so much. But if there's one thing I've learned from rock, it's that you've got to follow your heart, and your instincts. If they tell you to forget it all and plant a garden, then that's the rockest thing you could do.



George Harrison was a master gardener. Rivers Cuomo went to college at the peak of his success.The Beatles quit touring altogether. Ozzy Osbourne has a collection of delicate paintings of Victorian ladies' shoes. Bob Dylan is a painter.



Anyway. Last night I went out with my gf Lauren, a.k.a. Little Lauren. We saw Ash at the El Rey. What a fun band. All they want to do is have fun rocking, and rock you out. They're Irish. Maybe that's why they're not so scared to rock. Good God, man, that whole post-Radiohead scared-of-rock UK moperism was such a party foul. And I actually liked a couple of those bands for a minute, before it became clear they wanted to throw a grey wet scratchy blanket all over my daisy lawn.



The girl in Ash is very sexy and cool. She reminded me of Chrissie Hynde. I was a little bit scared of her. If I were a guy, I would be terrified.



The boy is a total pinup. But we already knew that.



Little Lauren and I went to the Roost after with Axel. The Roost is the best feelgood, goodtime fun pub ever. The popcorn was outstanding. Lots of cute boys, all of them looking insane. Like, literally. I never know how to talk to boys. Insane ones are a little easier. I mean, I can talk to them because I don't really want to date them. They're too young, too crazy, too much bullshit. Like I kept this blog off and on from 2002 to 2012. Since having a baby I don't update it. How do those mommybloggers do it?

Please enjoy!